The Neve Shalom Synagogue The biggest active synagogue of İstanbul built in 1951. Most of the religious events such as Bar-Mitzvas,Brit-Milas and Weddings are taking place generally in this synagogue. The synagogue was attacked 3 times in its history, on 1986,1992 and 2003. One of the symbolic building of the Turkish Jewry. Today, the complex of Neve Shalom is hosting also the Quincentennial Jewish Museum and a culture centre.
The Ahrida Synagogue located on the Golden Horn, in the oldest Jewish neighborhood of Balat, built originally by the Jews of Ohri (Macedonia) and renovated in 1992 during the Quincentennial celebration of Turkish Jews on the Ottoman Empire, the Ahrida Synagogue is one of the most significant monument of the Jews once lived in Balat. It is also one of the oldest synagogues in İstanbul.
The Ashkenazy Synagogue located near the Galata Tower, the only active Askenazy synagogue in İstanbul. Founded by Ashkenazim of Austian origin in 1900 and the supports of Carlman Family,its Ehal and Tevah with pagoda style is the most precious object of the synagogue. The Synagogue is active for Shabbat and daily prayers and headed by Ashkenazy Rav Mendy Chitrik.
The Italian Synagogue ( Kal de los Frankos) built by the Comunita Israelitico- Italiana di İstanbul in 1880’s and rebuilt in 1930’s was a very popular synagogue for its philosophical discussions on the Talmud till 1960’s. As there still no more Jews living on the Galata neighborhood, today the Synagogue is only opened on Shabbat prayers.
The Beth Israel Synagogue located in Şişli,on the modern part of the city,and a part of the Neve Shalom Foundation built in 1960’s The Beth Israel synagogue is one of the most active synagogue of the city. The synagogue was attacked by the terrorists on 2003 at the same time of Neve Shalom by a car bombing and was restored in 2004.Today the synagogue and the Kosher restaurant inside of the same complex can be visited during the week days.
The Maalem Synagogue located in northern part of the Goldern Horn, Hasköy neighborhood is the only remaining one of the many synagogues of the area since 1960’s.
The Etz Ahayim Synagogue located near the leg of the 1st Bosphorus Bridge,in Ortaköy neighborhood is the new synagogue built after the old one was burned down in 1941.Today, only the Aron ha Kodesh remains from the old synagogue. Ortaköy is a very active Jewish neighborhood and its synagogue is regularly used for prayers and Talmud Torah schools.
The Bet Avraam Synagogue located near to Sultanahmet, the heart of the historical part of the city can be reached by foot easily for Shabbat services. The synagogue is just behind the Sirkeci tram station.
Kal Kados,Corapçi Han Synagogue is an historical office building built by Russian Jews in 1880’s with the support of Count de Kamondo,is now open only for daily prayer during the week.
Hemdat Israel Synagogue,Haydarpaşa, located on the Asian side,was opened in 1899 with the permission of the Sultan Abdülhamid II.The name of Hemdat comes from the name of Abdülhamid, as a sign of respect and to thank him for this permission. One of the most historical buildings of the Asian side.
Caddebostan Bet-El is most populated synagogue of the Asian side where you can see the Jewish social club and the Talmud Torah school.
The Beth Yaakov Synagogue – Kuzguncuk, located an the Asian side of the Bosphorus in the area called Kuzguncuk, just beside a Greek Orthodox church, it was built in 1878. The Jewish population of Kuzguncuk having moved away, it is kept alive by worshippers whose families originated there. Shabbat services on Saturday morning are held regularly
Hesed Le Avraam Synagogue- Büyükada is located on the biggest of the Princes’ Islands, called Buyukada (Prinkipo), the synagogue is open only during the summer when the majority of the Jewish population, of Istanbul comes to spend their summer months. Boats and sea-buses commute regularly from various points in Istanbul to Buyuk
Burgazada Synagogue There were few Jewish families in the 1950’s in Burgaz (Antigone), but in the 60’s the need to have a Synagogue arose and permission was taken in 1968 to build one. It is open for services only during summer months, like the other synagogues of the Princes’ Islands.